Seperator
Seperator

Home

Blog

Shop

Links

Guestbook

Sitemap

Contact

Paisley Online Web Banner1
Paisley Witches

In 1696 Paisley had a famous witch trial concerning Christian Shaw, the daughter of the Laird of Bargarran,which eventually resulted in six people being condemned as witches.

When aged 11, Christian diplayed all the signs of being possessed, apparantly bringing up bones, pins and all manner of small items.

She blamed a coven of witched, amongst them her servant, and eventually seven people were found guilty of witchcraft.

One killed themself in prison and the other six were strangled and burnt on the Gallowgreen.

 Their remains were buried on a crossing now known as Maxwelton Cross, with a horseshoe placed on top of the buriel site. This spot is still visible today although the horseshoe went missing many years ago. However in May 2008 a new horseshoe was laid at the crossing, designed by Sandy Stoddart it will hopefully breathe new life into the town.

Img0024158w1

On a small patch of land, just off Queen Street in the West End, lies this well which  is all that remains of the Gallowgreen.

PICT0107w1
dsc_2201w1

History

St Mirin

Paisley Abbey

Medieval Drain

Town Hall

     Town Hall Re-Opening

Robert Tannahill

Sma’ Shot

Mill Legacy

Oakshaw

Stanely Castle

Museum & Art Galleries

Woodside First Aid Post

Glen Cinema Disaster

Paisley Canal Disaster

Paisley Picture Houses

The Paisley Witch Trial

Paisley Ice Skating

The Russell Institute

The Paisley Snail

St Mirren FC

The Paisley Rocketeers

Old Paisley

This Old House

On 9th June 2012, the Paisley Development Trust organized a re-enactment of the Renfrewshire Witch Hunt of 1697. The story of the witch hunt was told in stages throughout the day and culminated in a Procession of the witches through the Town to Abbey Close where despite desperate pleas of innocence they were condemned to death. This re-enactment was so successful that it was decided to make it an annual event under the banner of RWH1697.

The second year’s re-enactment of the infamous Renfrewshire witch Hunt took place on Saturday, 5th October 2013. Paisley’s County Square was transported back to 1697 to witness the trial and ultimate execution of the seven accused, before a horse drawn cart took the witches to Abbey Close where they were symbolically burnt.

Click here for more photos on Facebook.

RWH 1697 - 1
IMG_9478 (550x367)
IMG_9503 (550x367)
[Paisley Online] [News & Events] [History] [St Mirin] [Abbey] [Medieval Drain] [Town Hall] [Tannahill] [Sma Shot] [Mill Legacy] [Oakshaw] [Stanely Castle] [Museum & Art Gallery] [Woodside Bomb] [Glen Cinema] [Canal Disaster] [Paisley Cinema] [Paisley Witches] [Ice Skating] [Russell Institute] [St Mirren FC] [Paisley Snail] [Paisley Rocketeers] [Old Paisley] [This old house...] [Paisley Photos] [Renfrewshire] [Attractions] [Architects] [Pub Guide]

© paisleyonline.co.uk 2013

Seperator
Seperator